Woodrow Wilson Middle School (c. 1915, 1920)
Client: Hillsborough County Public Schools
Size of Project: 50,000 sq ft
Wilson Middle School’s scope of work is focused on HVAC and safety improvements in the historic, 3-story classroom building; originally built in 1915 with additional wings constructed in 1920. Construction techniques have changed significantly from the mass brick and timber methods used in building the original building requiring close teamwork between the design team and Allstate to maintain the historic originality of the building while improving the occupied space conditioning and safety. Replacing the building’s chilled water HVAC system, adding a new fire sprinkler system, and completing both scopes over the summer break were established as project milestones. At the start of the summer phase, wall and floor protection was installed prior to any demolition taking place. Special care was taken to protect the original terrazzo and wood floors, as well as mural art spanning generations of students. Demolition crew size and sequencing was tightly coordinated with new HVAC and fire sprinkler installations for a swift and efficient start to the project. Within 3 weeks of the start of summer, overhead areas were complete to allow new ceiling grid installation. Renovation to the auditorium, which held the school’s first play in 1925, was added to the project scope after the start of the project. New seating selection options were explored to maintain a period correct feel for the space.