The Grove Museum (c. 1820s)
Client: Florida Department of State
Size of Project: 9,603 sq ft
Phased historic restoration of the Call-Collins Mansion (aka The Grove Museum) included exploratory demolition to facilitate design, ADA upgrades, ACM and lead paint abatement, and selective demolition of interior features, foundation underpinning, below grade water proofing, historic masonry crack remediation, masonry restoration, chimney restoration, window restoration, removal and replacement of window headers, plaster restoration, paint removal to expose and refinish historically significant elements, stairway restoration, wood floor removal reinstall/refinishing and complete MEP removal/replacement. Call-Collins sits on a little oasis at The Grove, tucked just next to the Florida Governor’s mansion. As the house competes for the title of oldest existing residence in Tallahassee, constructed between 1825 and 1836, its exemplary historic restoration was essential. Over the years the site has served as a home to past Florida governors Richard Keith Call and LeRoy Collins, hotel, boarding house, and will now be transformed into a house museum and cultural facility for public use. Call-Collins is on the National Register of Historic Places and will be one of three LEED certified historic house museums in the United States.